Thursday, August 14, 2008

The 21yr old addiction!

A casual comment at the dinner table sparked off the idea this topic. There was a tiny mango candy kept near my plate; one guy who was talking to us casually sat opposite me and picked up the candy and was like “Can I have it?” I couldn’t really refuse. After popping the candy and dropping the wrapper on my plate he grinned at me and exclaimed “24yr old addiction you see!” . This was the germ ling… Less than 4hrs back I was at the college grocery store or all purpose shop (it’s a tiny little store though), buying a packet to chips, and 2 Cadbury bars because I wanted change for 500bucks, and I had to pay off the laundry guy..

Pondering on that very statement my story isn’t any different. It’s been a 21yr old addiction. I can never say no to a chocolate.. Like every woman’s weakness is a man, mine is strangely chocolate then men! I’ve been fed with chocolates ever since I was a baby…! The legacy started off with my grandma bribing me with Candys, bars, and what not to make me finish my food… And trust me the bribe really worked.. .. My Ma, used to tell me about this teacher in my school who fed me with orange candy after every period so that I don’t cry in the class..!! (No exaggeration here) But on the flip side it has done its damage as well… This was the case almost everywhere. You mention chocolate I’ll sniff it from a distance!

Chocolates are an addiction now.. I still haven’t figured out how I stayed without chocolates for 40 long days!!!! All through my 3yrs at MOP I’ve been the only one at the canteen counter buying a bar of chocolate every other day, there wasn’t a single day when I dint wipe out a bar of chocolate, it could be anything actually… I even developed a weird liking for milkybar! I and my friend were “regulars” at the canteen asking for “milkybar”… The reason being we got our daily dose of “calcium” from that bar..!!!

I’ve been obsessed with this entity called chocolate all my life… I submitted a public relations campaign project in college called “Le Éclair”, a website for E-commerce for a confectioner, I made sure the website had more chocolate pictures, and very little code. Or sample this I made a whole bunch of tired people walk all around MG Road in Bangalore in search of this place called Corner House to have “Death by Chocolate”! Or a casual comment from a friend like “we can have Chocolate Sundae in this place next Sunday” makes me go hyper..! I like everything which says it has chocolate: not just bars even pastries (Chocolate Fantasy, Choco-Brownie, Black forest, Chocolate truffle you name it I’ll eat it), chocolate milkshake, chocolate anything, that includes Junior Horlicks chocolate flavor..!!

But every time I took at a bar of chocolate, I try to control myself.. I have this voice in my head telling “Sandhya NO NO NO!” But the poor little brain fails to listen.. All it does it give into temptation without delivering itself from evil… But hang on.. To me chocolate isn’t evil.. I am weight conscious! Today when I was munching on the Cadbury bar, I was filled with the guilt pang that am actually swallowing extra calories and adding onto my woes… But hell the choco high was good enough to make me forget that fact.. I get a complex when I see a skinny something munching chocolates.. I console myself “Yeah… One day she’ll have an expanding waistline!” But the irony of this is no matter what happens I end up eating chocolates…!!

I’ve been trying hard, real hard actually to keep my hands off chocolates.. When I read the calorie values at the back of the wrapper, my poor little heart skips a beat… I really wish somebody would invent a zero calorie chocolate or maybe manufacture one which helps you reduce weight… Like say for every 100gms you eat, you burn 250calories… Sounds like fun??? At one point during school I wanted to become a “chocolate tester” yeah something like software testing where in I could sample all the exotic chocolates in the world..!! I gave up on the idea looongg back though…! Trust me it is majorly addictive, and giving up on chocolates is the last thing I’d like to do. I’ll work out like a dog, but I will NEVER give up on my elixir of life…

JAI CHOCOLATE! LONG LIVE CHOCOLATE!! CHOCOLATE VAAZHGA!

1 comment:

SG said...

Hi Sandhya,was jus going thro some blogs.urs was one of them.
Was impressed by ur LOGO "Choclate Vazhga ":)))

Keep Munching :))))