Monday, December 29, 2008

Vacations?!

I heard my Mom say this to somebody over the phone “Yeah, Sandy’s on a vacation!” My jaws dropped.. Vacations? What!? If you call a 10-day off, cut short by 3 days, vacations; then I have some questions for you. My dictionary defines vacation as a holiday. Yes, I was on a holiday, but this was of a different kind. A vacation to me is something, ideally spent in the backwaters of Kerala, or soaking in the beaches of Goa, ushering the New Year. A cheaper version of the same spent in Mahabalipuram and Muthukadu. When my director declared winter vacations, I was jumping with joy!

YaaaaaY! Holidays at last! I started dreaming about long hours of uninterrupted sleep; lazy mornings, waking up to some super hot filter-kaapi, reading the Hindu cover-to-cover, equally lazy afternoons. Book in hand, steaming hot food, afternoon siesta, of watching movies, a walk in the beach in the evening. Visit friends, chill out and have fun in short. My dream was shattered by a voice which said, “You have been given holidays, and to make you spend them usefully, we have some holiday homework for you”. Yeah, we were given holiday home-work.

In all my years of schooling and college, I haven’t done anything in the name of homework. Leave alone holiday homework. To tell you the truth my mom did more than half my stuff, from writing Hindi compositions to finishing up English essays. All I did was finish my scrap-book. A scrapbook was something where we had to stick pictures on a certain topic and submit them. I got A+ in all my topics.

But this was atrocious. I shook my head in disbelief, to add insult to injury; they cut short our so-called holidays by three days, to attend a seminar on how to read a balance sheet. They sent us a case study, and we’re supposed to work on the questions given at the end and come prepared for the workshop. The next day we have to make a presentation on the Reverse Engineering of the Ratio Analysis of three cement companies. Economics homework on how the latest foreign trade policy would affect India. We’re supposed to analyze it and come to conclusions. To make things worse, we have model exams coming up.

How can you people be so heartless, one you mock a 7-day off calling it a vacation, next you pile us up with homework, and make us give presentations on arbit topics. Then you decide to fill my official inbox with business articles and expect me to work on them 24*7.
When everybody around me is spending their holidays in bliss, one poor thing spends her time working on pieces of paper containing weird numbers, trying to decipher where they came from.

Instead of giving it a beautiful name called vacation, you could have simply told us, we’re letting you off for a week to finish up the following stuff. Why give poor things like me wrong impressions? Why God; why me.

PS: I thought there was nothing wrong in killing a beautiful song, when people decided to kill my joy by giving me homework.
Cheers :)

5 comments:

Supraja said...

did u mention others around u spending their holidays in bliss!!?? how could u.. there are ppl like me sharing same feelings... i was not jus singing along with those lines u wrote.. i was repeatedly screaming out the lines...

Vedha said...

Exactly... you don't have your HOD screaming into the phone asking me to 'msg/e-mail or do whatever to all the seniors I am in touch with and make them fill out the alumni form in college website'. You aren't going to college to design POSTERS to PROMOTE THE DEPARTMENT. So do not say we are spending it in bliss!!

And, lady Sandy, u really need more coaching to distort good songs. Please come and join the newly formed B club and get insane!

Sowmiya said...

ha ha ha........ good one.... i din experience all such probs last dec... i remember writing cwa exam in the morning and catching next train to b'lore to attend ma cousin's marriage...... lucky me.... i pity u baby...

munchkin said...

lol :P lovely...
but comedy is u don want business articles to fill in ur offical inbox :P?? :) lol
womam! arent u supposed to be studyin MBA?? :P

good one :)

Rajalakshmi said...

Hey come on sandy you have been on vacation since you were born ya ;-)
I know life just rocks with u!!!cheers :) touch wood