Saturday, February 14, 2009

Bathroom Super Singer.

We have our college culturals coming up sometime next month. We as PG students are supposed to give a host performance. A mail was sent out a couple of days back, asking for people who sing or have participated in music competitions. Me being the enthu-pattani, replied back to the mail saying I've participated in competitions and am a classically trained singer. :D Which is true in a way. I've been learning music since I was 8yrs old. Not continuously, but in spurts. 
I make no tall claims of showing signs of talent when I was barely 3, all i did when I was 3yrs was stand in front of the TV and sing "anjali anjali anjali", with full make up. :P Having been through the rigors of paatu-class, dance-class painting class blah blah.I had an option.  I stopped going to dance class because there was a huge dog in the compound plus I had two left-feet. Painting has never been my friend. I hold the paint brush, like a pencil, and my paintings or drawings look like those by 3yr olds who can't read or write. So, the only talent I was left with was singing. I liked singing the best.
Singing has always been a constant. I used to collect stamps for some time, and then moved onto making scrapbooks, dabbled with coin collection. Only music stayed on. If I was granted one wish, I would wish to be a singer. I've always had a sort of a respect for the profession, classical and non-classical. I mock sing in front of the mirror every morning. The comb is my mike, furniture my audience. To me its an honour in itself to be on stage in front of an audience.  The adulation and applause are equal to none other. I envy those people who manage to go on stage, do that mike check and sing with panache. I wish I could do that.. Looking at those people gives me a high!
I simply love singing. It doesn't matter if my shruti and talam are misplaced. I am a self proclaimed bathroom super singer.
I sing, in the bathroom, in traffic jams (I don't get loose change), and its better than exchanging a slew of colourful swear words, in the class when am bored, in the exam hall. I sing anywhere and everywhere. Sometimes, I sing to entertain and otherwise to irritate. 
My on-stage singing experiences have always been disasters. School competitions were out of reach because of stage fear, I still do. In college, we sang chinna chinna aasai for our freshers so well that Mr.ARR would have committed suicide if he'd heard us on stage. We missed the shruti, the keyboardist started playing after we started. in short the whole thing was nothing short of a disaster. After we finished our "performance", Usha.V couldn't believe that we had just murdered a beautiful song. A year later we gave Naresh Iyer a shock of his life, we again managed to kill Columbus Columbus and Mana Madurai. Only thing we did properly was drool over him.
Trained classical singer has always been a social status of sorts. You get this really nice "Oh! you sing!" look from many people and get random requests to sing, which is quite easy.How can I forget singing during Navaratri-Golu, you sing at someone's place, they'll appreciate your talent by sending you off with a nice packet of sundal and a Re.1 coin. It was a part of my hobbies list in my resume until, an interviewer asked me to sing a song in some ragam which I never knew existed. It went off my resume promptly. 
When they asked for names, I gave mine happily. I don't know if I'll perform on stage. If I am given a chance, I'll sing for my life! If I don't I'll at least attend paatu-class regularly. That way I can spend 3hrs a week doing what I love doing the most. 
I sing; therefore I am :)

2 comments:

Vedha said...

Shabba.. we've been warned. Thank God!

kannan said...

try singing in the bus.. sit near the window seat and then sing while the bus moves.. nobody will listen and u can also have fun singing.. variant of bathroom singing..
I do tht occasionally..