Sunday, May 17, 2009

Semiya Upma!

What do you do on a Sunday afternoon, when you have a model practicals in less than 24hrs? Case studies to be finished again in less than 24hrs and worst of all exams coming up?
No, this is not a Sandy-wants-to-crib post. This is actually a fun post.

To kill all these, I made Semiya Upma!

Semiya upma, if you ask me is the easiest thing to make after thayir sadam. Of course people don't "make" thayir sadam. It's really simple because, all of us have been through the two-minute noodle making procedure. Making Semiya Upma is just the same, with a twist in the tale.
This is easy to make, light on the tummy yet yummy . You can have it any time during the day, all you need to follow is these simple steps!

Disclaimer: Am not a professional chef, am a good foodie and so, I guess cooking comes naturally to me. Or so I believe :D

What you need:

3 cups of roasted vermicelli.
6 cups of water.
1 carrot
1 onion
1 tomato (optional)
1 small piece of ginger
2 green chillies (as you like it, add more chillies if you like it hot)
2 tbsp of oil (lesser the better)
salt to taste.
 Jeera, mustard seeds and thoor dal for tempering.


Here's how you make it:

Step-1: Heat oil in the kadai. When the oil starts heating up, add the mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds splutter, add jeera and thoor dal. Let them roast for a while. 
Add onions, green chillies and ginger to this. Fry them until the onion is golden brown.
Step-2: Add 5 cups of water, and then the veggies. Cook them on a low flame.  Add vermicelli little by little, when the water comes to a boil. 
Keep stirring, to avoid the clumps.
Mix them all together and let the mixture cook for a while. 
Step-3: Once the mixture comes to that half cooked consistency, add the rest of the water.  
Note: Excess of water or too little of it can ruin your recipe.
The apt mixture would be: 1 cup vermicelli=2 cups of water.



Step-4: Keep stirring the mixture until it cooks fully. You've seen noodles cook right? This one will look just like that!
Voila! Semiya upma is ready to eat.

For the accompaniments:

You can eat it with plain thayir or little pickle or some spicy vengaya vatha kozhambu! :)

Me has even put up a nice picture of it on a plate. Arrangement inspiration: Nithya!
Happy Eating!

PS: Try out the recipe and send in your experiences.

9 comments:

sumana said...

yummmmmmmmmmmmmm......cant wait to have it....sandhya you better bring it in tiffin tomorrow....and pls also put recipe of some other delicious stuff.....

Sowmya said...

Sandhoooss hi :P
So yes, I totally relate to this entry not merely because I cook too, also not because you are my best bum, not even because I like semiya upma but because that is my nick name and has been for as long as I can remember. But seriously good thinking and really inventive di. You got me floored yumm you're making it next time I come home.
Your fellow foodie,best friend, pain in the ass etc etc,
Soms.

fourthsensesamayal said...

Hey darling... I am really happy to see this post.. It looks yummy and I like the way you have given step wise pics and all.. cool madam.. :) And damn happy that someone is getting inspired by my presentation.. :)

Nithi

Aishwarya said...

I have this very big doubt.. Ur mom prepared and u took fotos rite?,,, and u have taken 1 hour totally for this.. am tellin kannan sir u din study for pracs and u did semiya upma....
tell ur mom anyway.. looks yummy ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!!

Sowmi said...

guys!!! this gal cooked it and I was on call with her...
it looks yummy cuz i instructed over the phone :P

Anyway.... Sandy yuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmy!!!
and good that u followed all the tips I gave :P

Vedha said...

sandy and cooking!

ponnu ku kalyana aasai vandhuduthu!

hary!! said...

not fairngooo!! office time if i read these things...my tummyz rumbling now!! cha not fair!!! epadiyo nala sapudunga!

Chronicwriter said...

looks good.. dunno if i could weave the same magic in my kitchen

chriz

munchkin said...

will try!! :D yummy it looks!! :D