Sunday, September 6, 2009

Happy Teachers Day!

"Good teachers impart good education. Great teachers groom their students to become leaders. Ordinary teachers direct us along the right path, but great teachers inspire us to seek our own path. They encourage us to discover our talents. " (Source: Internet).
Going by the above quote, I've had 19years of education, a huge chunk of my life in classrooms. An average of say 6 teachers in each class, if you do the math, it says 114 teachers. Yet, I can think of very few people who've made a mark. A hallmark of a real teacher lies not in the knowledge they impart, but in the value they add to a person’s life. The whole statement sounds very high and mighty, but I guess that’s the real challenge every teacher faces.

Teaching by no means is an easy task; it takes a real person to hold the attention of 50 odd people. Handling kids, teaching them, making them understand what you have to say, and at the end of the day, leaving them with something solid. I think an astronaut’s life is a lot easier. I truly admire all these men and women who have walked into my life, taught me something, and made me realize a lot of other things.
Remember the nursery rhyme: Chubby cheeks, dimple chin, rosy lips teeth within. Eyes are blue lovely too; teacher’s pet is that you? My answer would be “No, no an no”!. The popular maxim in education says- The topper smiles all the way. I’ve never been the topper either, an above average student, I knew what I was supposed to do, but, I was never the star.
Going by my history, I’ve never been the “teacher’s pet”. It’s not something I really regret though. Because, when you are a teacher’s pet, a lot of responsibility rides on your shoulders, you have to be the nicest kid on the block, finish your homework on time, and be that perfect model student, whom everybody can emulate!

Thankfully, I’ve never had to face such a daunting task. I could be myself in a class- talkative, a little too noisy sometimes; a little moody, unfinished homework was ok! I was neither hated nor loved. Yet, I had a bunch of teachers whom I could look upto. A handful of them who’ve been instrumental in moulding me into what I am today.
I would be lying if I said I love all my teachers. I’ve been extremely picky and choosy about whom I choose to emulate. Call it attitude or arrogance; I firmly believe that there are very very few teachers who stand out in a crowd. They’re the real stars of the education system. A teacher in my terms is not somebody who gives you marks, corrects your assignments and reprimands you when you go wrong, but a person who mentors you, guides you, and makes you see things from the ‘right’ perspective.

Here is a small note on all those men and women who’ve made a difference:

The first person I can think of when you mention the word teacher is my: MOM. She is a qualified teacher, but has never taught in a school (Works in a bank). I truly believe your first teacher is always your parent. My mom holds the key to what I am today. Life’s little lessons, respect for people, dealing with situations, cooking, love of English, reading books, dressing up, my love for old Hindi music, learning new languages, making friends, the list just goes on(Except for the temper, which is my Dad’s). I sometimes believe, I’m a perfect photocopy of my mom, not just by looks, but in many ways more than one! I look upto her, for every little thing.

I love English teachers, to put it succinctly, any teacher who speaks good English! I think this is the single most defining factor in me picking my teachers :P My English teacher in School, Mrs.Lakshmi is my greatest inspiration in life after my Mom. I admire this lady for her simple yet striking dressing style; Mangalgiri cotton sarees, a black bindi, a little bit of kajal. There was this mystical aura surrounding her. The way she spoke, carried herself, teaching style. I mean, everything was just different from the rest of the lot. She was the one inspired me to write. She was an absolute critic, but made sure your article has no errors whatsoever. The right choice of words, the annotations, punctuations, everything had to be there in the right place! If the compliments I get for my writing style are meant to be true, the credit goes to this very lady! I have lost contact with her, but I sincerely hope she’s doing really well wherever she is!

I’m scared of mathematics is no understatement. The very mention of the subject sends chills down my spine. Mathematics is still by all means my most daunting subject. Sometimes, I feel that the math textbook actually taunts me: “Ah! Here you come.. Let’s see how far you go today”. I know many people on the other side of the fence too. One of those people who, eat breathe and live; mathematics is my Rockstar Math Sir aka Sundarajan Sir! At 75+ he still has the energy of a teenager. When most of us get tired after 30 sums, here is a man who can solve n-number of sums and still not be tired. He taught not just math, but also English, physics and chemistry! Every day after class, he used to give us 5 new words in English, we had to do the math homework + this. My homework was always incomplete, but the words were complete! Now, you know why I call him the rockstar. He’s been a constant source of support and inspiration all my life. Be it the never ending battle against math or gyaan, he is unconditional!He’s seen the transformation of a math hater to a semi math lover in 7yrs! Every time I go over to pick up Adi after class, he says “Enna Sandhya, integration podalama?” I decline the offer :P In June, when I announced that I’m taking up Finance as my major, here was a sir who was mighty proud of his bungling kid petrified of numbers taking it on a head-on collision! He has inspired so many kids, and still continues to inspire them. Yesterday when Adi & Co. got him a bouquet, I was jealous. And Sir, with all his humility said “Thank you”.

These folks have been my greatest inspirations! Apart from them, here is a small list of teachers who are the recent ones.
Kannan Sir, Who is the Bindaas Sir, he discusses everything with you. He is the coolest sir in the whole campus! HOD sir, who is the perfectionist, his language is impeccable, so is his knowledge! KasturiRagan Sir, the whole class pays attention when he talks. Professionalism is one lesson that you can learn from him. Talking about profs from SSN, this would be incomplete without the mention of V.S.Kumar sir; He is simply the best prof ever. Teaches us once a week, and trust me, I’ve never enjoyed finance classes as much. I haven’t known these Profs for a long time, and hence this is all I can manage. But, take it from me, these people are nothing but the best!

All of them mentioned above, have made an indelible mark on my life.
Here’s wishing you all a very Happy Teachers Day! I salute all you great men and women, who’ve been instrumental in designing the lives of so many students!

:)


5 comments:

vEnKy said...

nice post thats a really good way to thank your teachers

Deeps said...

Hey!
Gud one...
I have read ur other posts too..all r super cool...
keep up the gud work!
Do post on a regular basis...

Vedha said...

Statistics say 60% of the people don't read looong posts fully.

I'm part of the 60%

:P

Happies teacher's dayss!

Sandhya said...

@ Venky: Danks!
@Deeps: Thanks Girl. I will try it update it every now and then.
@Vedha: Po di :P it was a long post after a looong time!

Sowmi said...

I second third et al Vedha :P lolz
I know all these SSN prof.. and they RAWK simply :)