Thursday, December 3, 2009

Exams and the Works


My tryst with examinations started when I was going to Class-1. The teacher pulled out a vegetables chart, pointed out to ladies finger and asked me “What is it called?” I answered “Vendakkai”. The lady was very disappointed with my dismal performance; she informed my mom that I’ll have to study Junior First instead of the usual Class-1, because I had “under-developed speech abilities”. This incident stands out as the most comical in my life till date, and I keep telling my mom, “Amma if she’d asked me what 1+1 is, she would have happily told you that your daughter was unfit for school”.


I was a kid who flatly refused to go to school. I had to be cajoled every morning, pushed out of bed, and getting ready was a herculean task. I had a hanky pinned to my pinafore, a bottle of Complan to give me company, and a bag which was twice my size. Slowly I started enjoying school, and the only thing I hated about the system was - “exams”.


KG to Primary, middle school, High school, Class-10, Class-12, under-grad, and now post-grad- WHEW!! It’s been one rollercoaster of a ride. Every time I cross a hurdle I look up to the stars and thank them. The only person who refuses to believe that I’m done with exams is my Mom. To her, I’m still that little kid, who rolled on the floor refusing to get ready, or that kid who came running towards the gate after being made to sit in a class. Yeah, I’ve been a prat, and I think I’m still one, but a little more responsible now.


Looking back, I’ll miss those classroom sessions.. Gitu and I were discussing how uncomfortable the desks in different engineering blocks were, and I said, “Macha, I prefer the desks in SoMCA, they’re so nice and comfy, you can just spread your arms and sleep”. She replied back saying, “Girl, those days are over now”. Hmmm yeah! They’re over… :(


It suddenly feels like being cut off the umbilical cord, I’ve been so used to. It was so comfortable sitting in class, sleeping away to glory, taking down notes and when I pleased, poking fun at people, clicking random pictures, burning the midnight oil before a test. And worrying about portions to finish, ppts than ran to several slides, rummaging through pillow sized textbooks. Suddenly there is a void. What will I do now?


… And on this note, I’d like to declare that I’m done with exams.


Now that my exams are over, I leave it to the Anna University Evaluator. See uncle, I’m done with the grueling sessions. Now it’s upto you to mark me properly. I would never be able to track you down. So, be nice to an unknown child :P


And.. This would be the last time; I can bullshit in a paper and get away with it. I feel really guilty for crapping so much in my papers. My condolences to all my prof's, teachers and Unknown unseen evaluators of Anna University. So much bullshit, that my answer scripts can be used as readymade manure for my crops in Farmville. Bless you evaluator, pray for me folks!


AMEN :)

16 comments:

Praseela Nair said...

Howdy Sandy (farmville eshtyle),,,
I would like to share your happiness of completing our stint with egjams...Exams have always been a terror for me too..
But for the uncomfortable benches in eng block we would have slept there too :) Do you remember the day when we gave our SFM exam(Nov 26th) the anniversary of mumbai tragedy..I was afraid of becoming a victim of another tragedy..Thank god ..its all over..Yippee..

Deeps said...

Gal, u rock as always! Keep up the gud bloggin and dont eva STOP...
This ode to exams is a total fun read....
Kudos to u dear!

Sandhya said...

LOL Prasee :D I know I know :P We the "finance titans"! I can't thank you enough for all that you've been :P In and out of college.. :D
@ Deeps: Thanks girlie.. keep reading.. :)

Meow said...

Super!!! Enjoy :) I know how much I miss SoMCA :( ppts, tom & jerry, projects, presentations, seminars, business line article reviews... *sobs sobs* :(

Krishnan said...

Well....Now that U have passed initial screening i must say this ....."WELCOME TO HELL!!!!!!!"

Karthikeyan Balasubramanian said...

Hi Sandhya..
Nice to see your blog after a couple of months.
Now i am the owner of the Dell Studio 15 Laptop. :-)
In the coming days,You will see my comments very often.

I remember my good old school days..
"Our maths sir kept tests one day and he asked everybody to exchange the answer paper with the one near by and asked to evaluate...
I evaluated my paper myself...i put 3 marks extra(marking 3 wrong questions right)..He noticed it silently and gave a slap at the end of the test.
I cannot forget it!!!!!!

Thanks for reminding me that incident!

Karthikeyan Balasubramanian said...

Hi Sandhya..
Nice to see your blog after a couple of months.
Now i am the owner of the Dell Studio 15 Laptop. :-)
In the coming days,You will see my comments very often.

I remember my good old school days..
"Our maths sir kept tests one day and he asked everybody to exchange the answer paper with the one near by and asked to evaluate...
I evaluated my paper myself...i put 3 marks extra(marking 3 wrong questions right)..He noticed it silently and gave a slap at the end of the test.
I cannot forget it!!!!!!

Thanks for reminding me that incident!

Vedha said...

classic stuff man! good fun to read :) congrats! and im, planning to bribe the unseen evaluator for you!

ki said...

Bullshit queen strikes again :D remember the deal - you have to teach my how okay? esp if I end up doing a yem-bee-yay :P

you didligence shall be rewarded sandy!!!

gitanjali.j said...

to the miss 'respect the-goddamn-english-language :D "I and Gitu"??? :D :D :D (ps-Im lovin this :D )

vsk said...

Sandhya, the formal exams are over & done with, unless you want to continue in colleges doing MS or whatever.

But only the formal exams.

The surprise quizzes start now. Every day, from a motley bunch of people who you don't know but who will direct the course of your career and life. Get ready. As a fun-loving girl, you will do these tests pretty well, I'm sure.

Same to you, Praseela.

Much love

kumar
5/12

s said...

very good read...glad i found this space..

Sorcerer said...

that was well written
exams... life tests you.. well I hate my grades though

vEnKy said...

ponna poi machanu kupara sari illaye ;)

sawan said...

:)
congrats for geting in coke.

HaRy!! said...

ending in the farmville was the best:D