Friday, March 12, 2010

My Name Is...



Is not Khan, and I’m not a terrorist, and this is not the review of the movie.

A name is a noun, which carries the highest importance. It gives you inkling about the person, what he/ she stands for, a little about the background – place you belong etc. People identify you by your name and nothing else. A name ultimately is something you live with for the rest of your life. Some names are really unique, some pulled out from scriptures by well read grandparents, while others might be some fancy name. Nevertheless a name is a name, and people take it upon themselves to brand you based on that. Nobody would ever change their names, unless you are Gogol from The Namesake though.

My name is; a simple 7 lettered word, which has been mutilated to no end. My placecomm for instance, makes it a point to mutilate it, and I hate her for it. This is one example, I know so many people who’ve called me with so many different permutations and combinations.

A name is not just an identity, it has a deeper meaning. Like mine; is the daughter of Lord Brahma and also means twilight. That time of the evening when the birds fly back to their nests, and those little angels who keep whispering Tatasthu(so be it). And talking about angels, I need them now, more than ever. There’s one major drawback of being “Sandhya”- every Tamil film director thinks it’s fashionable to name his heroines. And this leads to people asking me questions like – “is this your real name”. Honestly, I wouldn’t rent a name.

This is about naming people, now what about naming products? Products are inanimate objects. They don’t feel offended when you misspell or shorten their names. These lovely new to the market babies are named by Brand Managers or some of the well qualified people in the company. These men and women probably sit together in that air-conditioned room, where they are served coffee, tea and snacks, and then after wasting bucket loads of caffeine and lumps of grey hair, they dish out something that is in tune with the company’s existing product range, the product characteristics and the likes, the positioning etc.

This time around, the company where I’m doing my project have decided to bestow upon the opportunity of naming the new baby. Ok, this will only be a tentative name, and by company I’m referring to the boss in the company. I refuse to call it ‘my’ product because; the product for one is really not mine, it is the company's, and two if they don’t name the product after my suggestion I’d be a little cheesed off, and thirdly if the company does not absorb me I’d be damn upset.

So, I’ve decided to keep the emotional component out of this, and I will only think in terms of the product and the company. Makes things easier for me :D. I’m trying to come up with something that translates into being; nutritious healthy and appeals to the aam-admi. Something like – Drink this and it will make you healthy. Ok, I haven’t started working on the positioning and the promotion yet. Tough job I must say.

I’ve been raking my brain cells trying to come up with fancy names for the new baby. I don’t know if I will be there when they officially release it, or they might not release it at all. I have my own predicaments about it, but I will not allow them to hinder the working process. Now I understand how difficult it would’ve been for all those oldies to come up with beautiful, lovely and ear-catching names.

I need names! Sanskrit or Hindi preferred!

Deep down inside, I’m just hoping that these people don’t stash the report I submit into some dustbin. I’m just hoping it works fine... Just the way I’ve planned it.

**Fingers Crossed**

10 comments:

Arv said...

yeah, I totally get the name part... My name is always misspelled and mispronounced... frustrating at times...

try not to think of a name and think of the product, the magic word will just pop into ur head :)

take care... cheers...

AM said...

M bad at this however listing down a few suggestions...
Amrit, Elixir, Panacea, Chaitanya, Ayunidhi (I made this up, it means Au-Life, Nidhi - Treasure, hence the treasure of life), Ojas (vigor, Ojas is responsible for maintaining contentment, luster, strength, and health. It is the main factor responsible for immunity.)

Roo said...

Neutramrit !! :P my one n only Suggestion :P :P

Ananth said...

how about naming naming it as Anantharman ( being nutritious, healthy ) ..

if i can get some stipend for suggesting this name that will be nice coz the prcoess involved loads of time to think :( :D

vEnKy said...

atleast sandya is easier to say my name is butchered all the time. I would suggest Parikram

Praseela Nair said...

I wish you all success in rechristening your new brain baby ...i am sorry ..not your's though..but you foster it I believe. And I callllllll you Sandy, a perfect agmark standard day dreamer.

Praseela Nair said...

and hey Ananth unakku idhu too mucha therila...unnai paatha nutritious baby nu solluvangala..idhula unakku royalty vera...

Sandhya said...

@ Roo and Amisha, thanks folks! I will consider the names.
@ Ananth: ada poda, u pera vecha product stage liye sethu poidum :P
@Prase: Sandy nu peru vechalum, above mentioned state than :P

Sandhya said...

@ Venky: there you go! You spelt my name wrong.. :-| there is a "h".
@arv: I so know what it feels like! And product names are still in my head :(

vEnKy said...

hey be happy that i pronounce it right :D