Saturday, May 8, 2010

To My Amma

Sometime in Dec last year, a day which could pass off as the most disappointing day in my life – there was one lady who held me tight while I sat on the bed wailing inconsolably. This too shall pass, and you will make it to a really good company. You have to be strong is all she said.

It took me 5 months to get placed in a company, but all through these 5 months of despondency, the lady never lost faith in me. You will make it is all she said- and it happened with a bang! I had to beat 250 candidates to get to the final round, and I was offered the job even before everybody else knew their verdict.

This is for the lady who has stood beside me like the pillar of strength. Not once has she let her disappointment show- every time somebody decided to put me down, she’s been there by my side, holding my hand and has helped me cross every hurdle life has thrown my way with dignity. I think that’s more important than anything else.

She has supported every decision of mine, the non-engineering course. The rest of my family warned her saying – no engineering - no career, she was the only one who raised her voice and green signaled me to follow my dreams. She gamely bought applications for; BA Eng Lit from Stella Maris and BA in Journalism from MOP. I pursued neither.

In all these years of growing up, there has not been one incident that’s made me say a thing against her. I know its clichéd when I say my mom is my best friend. It is the case with every girl, for she is the one – who feeds you, nurtures you, dreams along with you, supports you, corrects you when you go wrong, spends every waking hour praying for you, and also appreciates every little thing you make for her. Be it that badly drawn caricature in school or that greeting card with a scrawny handwriting or that half baked cake, and that semiya upma with no salt.


Forget all this – she appreciates it when I clean my room without her having to lecture me about it, cleaning the kitchen after waging a war with ingredients, even that hot cup of coffee after a hard day at the office makes her day!

I’m growing up to be the little version of hers. But there are some characteristics I can never replicate for the life of mine. She is never opinionated about anybody, every time I bitch bout somebody, she stops from bullshitting and says – we must accept people the way they are. And she lives by example; she had an awful SOB for a manager a few years back, and she never let it show. Instead of losing her cool over it, she channelised her emotions to prayer. She knows more about my friends than I do. She makes friends in a jiffy and keeps in touch with them over the years, which includes remembering birthdays and anniversaries.

Her adaptability to different situations amazes me – the way she handled her transfer to her branch 20kms away, or the way she has handled that culture shock that struck her 25yrs back when she came down to good old Madras from Bombay where she was free to do whatever she wanted.

She has moulded me into what I am today, and in the process has also passed on a few enviable qualities – I can cook. I’ve become more tolerant towards people, developed a liking for Hindi movies and those old songs. I’ve learnt the art of talking to people. There is a teeny weeny ounce of belief that I can do what I want to do, and there is tremendous power in prayer. All thanks to Amma!

Funnily she calls herself “Auro” – thanks to a screening of Paa. Her argument is – she is old bodily, but deep down inside, she is still as old as I am. And what’s worse, I’ve seen people compliment her saying, she doesn’t look a year older than 35, well in that case; it makes me and my brother illegal :P. Instead of listening to my argument, she basks in the glory, and laughs it off after that.

Looking at her, I can’t help but agree though.

With lots of love,
The girl who refuses to grow up.

PS: I'd be cheeky if I said I'd be a nobody without her. The fact is - I'd never be here without her.
PS1: The lady did try supporting Mumbai Indians during the IPL. The yellow fever was too much for her :P
PS2: She still hasn't stopped laughing over the fact that my job is going to be half finance.
PS3: Amma, if you stop laughing, I might just consider sending you a facebook friend request. :D

11 comments:

Darshan said...

Your best post ever .. for the sheer fact that it was a tribute and a ode to your mom !!

keep it up ...

Prashanth Rajan said...

An awesome post dedicated to the mother. I only wish I had listened to here more :D. Frankly speaking, I don't believe in all these mother's day, women's day, valentine's day and all. If you got to show love, why show it in excess on a particular day ? Anyways really nice post, makes me want to write a post too !

Prashanth Rajan said...

An awesome post dedicated to the mother. I only wish I had listened to here more :D. Frankly speaking, I don't believe in all these mother's day, women's day, valentine's day and all. If you got to show love, why show it in excess on a particular day ? Anyways really nice post, makes me want to write a post too !

vsk said...

Wow, Sandhya. I am positively jealous.

My son will never say all that on Father's day about me, because about the only thing common between Sarasawatiji and me is we are both die hard Mumbaikars. Beyond that she has simply left me standing in the matter of bringing up children.

As for you, you have scored again with your ability to put "feeling into your thinking", as my old prof Pulin Garg would say. Keep it up, Sandhya.

Hats off to aaiga. (That's Marathi for amma) And hats off to mulgi (daughter).

kumar
8/5

sowmyak said...

This is your best ever! At least to me it is.

Nithya said...

I loved this post and could relate myself in too many places. :) As all say, its your best post.

Same pinch. I love my amma as much as you do yours ;)

gitanjali.j said...

Aww Sandy!! I loved this post!! I was sniffing all along- and yeah, Mothers - what can we ever do without them??!! we fight/yell/scream at them, and still go back to them when we slice open a finger while dicing onions :P aww- has aunty read this yet? hugs*

Vedha said...

loved it.

Shilpa Ramji said...

Good job.....it definitely strikes a chord with others like me.

Shilpa Ramji said...

Good job......it definitely strikes a chord with many others like me.

Trails of a Traveler said...

A facebook friend request to her?
I think she is already having enough!

Is this what you want to give such a wonderful lady?

Ram