Monday, October 11, 2010

Meesic Matters




Long post ahead; read at your own peril.

Last week my friend has posted a song by junoon on her wall, asking me if I remembered the song. And I did. Pappu yaar tang na kar was a song we used to refer to somebody who was a mutual friend. Pappu was my neighbour, her classmate and our tuition mate. Pappu was our favourite topic of discussion; he played the guitar, and got badly screwed in the maths class. He was the poster boy of our chemistry teacher and all that.  


Likewise, there are songs on my playlist which relate to some incident or the other in my life, and I got into this downward-spiral mode. Brainwave struck, and I thought I might as well chronicle it. 

Tanha Dil: Life’s roadblocks and uncertainties, a flicker of hope that I will make it someday.

Mitwa from Lagaan: Class 10 Boards, tense moments, and the jitters of writing some exam of great importance. This song gave me that much needed strength to clear the math paper.

Oh Palanhare and Vishnusahasranamam are jointly responsible for helping me pass all my number crunching papers through college.

Mitwa from KANK: KANK by all means was an extremely stupid movie, but this song gives me that *love will find a way* feeling.

Aao Na: I love the look and feel of the song. I can probably float in air every time I listen to it.

Do DIl from Pardes: This was back in class 5 or 6 I don’t remember; my dad enrolled me in one of those computer classes, where they taught us Microsoft office. There was this clipart with a couple silhouette embedded in the moon. So the girls in the class looked named it – Do dil mil rahe hai. Since then, the song reminds me of the picture. PS: The girls were all oldies.

Mere Khawbon Mein and Tujhe Dekha Toh Yeh Jana Sanam from DDLJ: School vacations, time spent at my aunt’s place in the outskirts. All the fun we had jumping over fences and listening to stories. This very movie sowed the first seeds of unrealistic expectations. :P

Pal by KK: this one was a favourite of all school farewells.  It totally transports you back an era when all you had to worry about was – Integral Calculus.

Yaaron by KK: Friendship, first crush, and the madness called adolescence.

Mora Saiyyan and Tere Bina by Fuzon: Songs about unrequited love. I still get misty eyed when I listen to Mora Saiyyan.

 Duur, Dhaani and Anjane by Strings:  The transition from school to college. The transition from the gawky teenager to less dorky adult :P

Dil Chahta: S^3 and school time masti! We had our respective roles, and it was fun.

Bumbro and So Ja Chanda from Mission Kashmir: This one is an absolute favourite. I so wished I was Preity Zinta in the song. And So ja chanda is for somebody else ;-) S, rings a bell?

Papa Khete hai and Pehla Nasha from QSQT: Reminds me of all those changing ambitions from wanting to become a doctor-computer engineer-journalist. Pehla Nasha is for the diehard romantic in me.

Paathshala and Roobaro: College, masti, rebelliousness, and the happy go lucky life that I lived for 5 long years, until I was thrown into the corporate world.

Taare Zameen Par and Maa: XAT, January 6th 2008, Satyam Cinemas. I was watching TZP with a friend. I could totally relate to Darsheel Safary and his mathematical woes.  I could see me in him, and this feeling grew on me. I had tears streaming down my cheeks, it wasn’t half as embarrassing because, the entire theatre was crying. Primarily the tears were for me; I screwed XAT and its predecessor CAT. There was no way I was going to make it to a top rung B-school, and also for the poor kid on screen.

Since then, I’ve had this bone of contention that I am actually dyslexic.

Navaratri is on, and it would be unfair if I don’t mention this. Rewind to Navaratri of 1995, the last year my family spent in Bangalore, and my mother was busy visiting friends. We were at this relative’s place, this maami coaxed me to sing any song that I liked singing. I was a shy child back then (only when it comes to singing in front of a group of people). I still get bouts of fits when I’m asked to sing in public.

I was slowly becoming the Maami’s choice of the day, and I was forced to sing. What happened next was totally unexpected. I sang – Tu cheez badi hai mast mast from Mohra. I was forced to shut up. Since then I have never displayed any singing talent.

Thank you for reading this. :P
Goodnight!

2 comments:

Prashanth Rajan said...

What's with you and Hindi songs eh ? Anyways, Tamil, classical and instrumental music with soft english coldplay songs are on my radar. Gives me my much needed peace for most of the day. You must try it.

Spunkysaturnine said...

Loved it! Each song and its associated memories feels good to know I share most of it if not all :)