Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Round-up

When you wake up tomorrow morning, it will be a brand new year, and before the clock strikes 12, I decided to contribute my year end post amongst the n-number of posts that would’ve flooded the blogosphere by now.

If there was a calendar year I’d pick to be voted as the most memorable, this would be it. 2010 has been a year of firsts, many shocks, rude wake up calls, irreversible changes, transformations and a home coming of sorts.  You can rename 2010 as the year of Job Interviews.

We’ll start with family for a change.
A, finishes school and goes to college; neither of these were shocks per se, but going off to a hostel was the shot in the arm. Honestly, I couldn’t bear to see the little boy go away to a hostel.  It was the worst part, because after having a constant companion and confidant around for 17yrs, the void becomes quite prominent, and difficult to deal with.

Now it’s me time. Looking back, I never expected 2010 to be such a rollercoaster ride. I assumed it would be smooth sailing, because at the outset, I could foresee only a final year project and a job offer. With this on the plate, it should’ve been a breeze; but I still have no idea who invited a tornado, and put me in the eye of it.
Caught in the whirlwind of ups and downs was the year 2010.

The project was supposed to be easy peasy and things turned terrible, and by the time it saw the light of the day it was mid-May. Job hunting was supposed to be the same. I was pretty confident that cracking a couple of job interviews would be just as easy, but then there were way too many potholes on the gateway to the first real job. Even that dint last long – 5 and a half months to be precise. Amidst all this was the – I’m an MBA feeling.

 Before I forget, I’ll list out the firsts;
1)      Jan- May – Job hunting in all its futility, the project which went from good to bad, bad to worse, and finally got done thanks to divine intervention.
2)      May - I got my first job.
3)      June - I sent the first “I miss you text” – and it went out to my brother.  
4)      July - I got my first pay cheque.
5)      July- The high of swiping cards.
6)      Sep - I went on my first trek
7)      Aug  to Oct - I had the first taste of what work pressure and hostile atmosphere feels like.
8)      Nov - I wrote my first resignation letter.
9)      Nov - Changed jobs.

The first job did teach me a lot; everything from making ISD Calls to East Coast, West Coast, countries like Serbia and Croatia, which I knew existed only on maps! It also gave me a sneak peek of what happens in the dark alleys  and dungeons of the corporate world, saw the game of politics being played out from close quarters, unearthed a lot of two faced people. Got hurt and grew up in the process.

To balance out the evil, I had a bunch of really nice people like Jalsa, Salasa, and little girl, who helped me wade through. Thank you ladies!

On the personal front, it has been a growing up experience. A lot of people have shouldered me in good and bad times. Special thanks to bro, Neesu, G-Girl, The blood hound who can smell trouble, and Prash.

Just when I thought the year would end on a very happy note, came around Boy hunting.

Today as the year draws to an end, I realise that I’ve grown up, completed my post graduation, I have a job that pays me a fancy amount. I’ve come a long way from the trepidation and apprehension that swallowed me through the first few months.

Here’s wishing you all a great 2011!
You will see a New Year resolution post in another few days.

Cheers :)


PS: Before you close the window, the only thing that hasn't changed from 2009 to 2010 is - the crush on Murali Vijay. Somebody HELP ME! :P

1 comment:

Prashanth Rajan said...

Looks like you have quite an eventful 2010, here s you wishing you a more eventful and more importantly happy and joyous 2011, only to be bettered by the years to come :)