Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Year Essentials

I promised to post something on my set of New Year resolutions and here they are. This time around I decided to keep them simple, doable, achievable and realistic. There is no point is resolving to go to the moon, or saying I want to win the Miss Universe title, unless you are preparing for them. From my past set of resolutions, I see that there is no point in over promising to self, and under delivering it by a great margin, so I made a very conscious effort to keep the unrealistic stuff to the minimal.

Ladies and Gentlemen, put your hands together for “New Year Resolutions – 2011”

Lose Weight: Ok, this has been on my resolution list since the January of 2009, when I saw the first “I’m-getting-fat” signs. I’m on a hat-trick this year, wish me luck! Last year I managed to shed some, and gained them all back, thanks to 5 months under serious stress.

Staying in Touch: Over the last year, or so I’ve kind of distanced myself from people intentionally and unintentionally. I’m not discussing about the intentional ones here, I’ve figured out that, I need human contact; I cannot survive without people around. This doesn’t mean, I trust people blindly, but I simply keep them in tab. Say hi once in a while, a ping on fb to say the least. You never know whom you will need when. PS: I’m not being the opportunist here.

Spend time with Family & Friends: I’ve decided to keep the ones whom I really care about closer. Show them that I care, and make them feel special. Sometimes I go off the radar for a while, and nobody knows why.

Smile More Often: Sometimes, when I look at myself in the mirror, I think I’ve forgotten to smile genuinely. I’ve mastered the infamous ‘Corporate Plastic Smile’, and believe me, I don’t like it. I’ve decided to reserve the above mentioned smile only to a restricted bunch of people, and spread the genuine one more often.

Stop worrying on the personal and professional front. Taking too much tension to the head doesn’t solve any purpose. This includes letting go also.

I have decided not to bring home work either, not stretch too much unless the survival of the project depends on it.

Live life, eat healthy and workout.

Pray more often; I’m not the one who enters the Puja room or a temple in times of distress, I do pray, but I’ve decided to say thank you God more often this year. PS: I need extra blessings :P

Learn something new; the quest for learning should never end is my personal belief. I want to learn something I’ve never dabbled with before; art or a new language, or even self defense. I’ve had an eye on Tai Chi for quite some time now.

Become a Certified Yoga Trainer. The Power Yoga bug got onto to me big time and the efforts have been truly worth it. I’ve wanted to get properly trained in it; not only because it’s a lucrative career option, and to add some extra USP to my profile. What’s the fun in being just another MBA?

Sponsor a child, inspired by the World Vision advertisements, I want to sponsor one or atleast give them a onetime payment now that I’m semi-independent and can support a family.

Pamper myself, everybody needs an exhilarating hair-spa treatment or a soothing pedicure once in a while. Who doesn’t like being pampered? I’ve decided to raise the bar one notch up, and I’m planning on a chocolate facial – I promise I won’t lick chocolate.

I’ve stuck to my guns for being realistic this time.
I sincerely hope 2011 is good to each and every one of you, and me of course.

Cheers to the year ahead.

5 comments:

Extra-Ordinarily Ordinary said...

There was a mahaan who took a resolution about 7 years ago and has stuck to it like anything.

The what: Not to ever take a New Year Resolution

The who: Yours Truly.

Ram said...

//Become a Certified Yoga Trainer. The Power Yoga bug got onto to me big time and the efforts have been truly worth it. I’ve wanted to get properly trained in it; not only because it’s a lucrative career option, and to add some extra USP to my profile. What’s the fun in being just another MBA?
//

I like this.. I can learn yoga from you then.. :P

Gayatri said...

Happy new year sandy!

Very amusing post, i enjoyed reading it, i'm sure you will be able to stick to all these resolutions.

Even i need to do this one, "Staying in Touch" more seriously

Arv said...

well well well...

Happy New Year mate :)

Wishing you the very best in 2011 :)

do stick to the resolutions as much as u can :)

take care...

cheers,
Arv.

kannanthegreat said...

Seems to be a wish list, rather than resolutions. Restrict it to one or two.
Good luck.
Happy Womens day!