Tuesday, January 18, 2011

... She turned 24!!

Ever heard of a woman who 
- hates ice-creams, cannot stand chocolate;
-not an internet addict and thinks facbeooking is a serious waste of time.
- has replied to Orkut Scraps months after receiving them?
- owns a mobile phone, but will not take calls or reply to texts?
- stayed in Chennai for 20years now, and cannot speak a full sentence in Tamil.

Such people do exist, and they form the other end of the Normal Distribution Curve. No, she isn’t a 50 something with salt and pepper.  This has been in the offing for a year now, last year, but laziness got better of me. This time I’ve decided to ignore the throbbing pain in my upper jaw at 12 in the night, to wish the best woman a very Happy 24th Birthday!

Dear Neesu,

I’d like to warn you right away that this is going to be very silly, soppy and mushy which is quite unlike me. But you truly deserve this soppiness for all that you’ve put up with.  I must thank you for being there by my side throughout the ups and downs of life; madness and sadness; school results and college admissions; numerous crushes and google searches; all those night long discussions on things that make absolutely no sense.

To be really honest with you, I had no premonition that we would come this far, and I’m glad that we did. I still can’t believe we have little or nothing in common, except for the love for Shah Rukh Khan and that is so passé.  I guess there was something more than just divine intervention that’s kept us going for so long; amidst all those silly nonsensical fights, to thought-provoking and enlightening talks ;)?  I think it is the warmth enamours you. Otherwise why would a girl who came over to pick some notes make your home her second home, and a permanent resident at times?

Your enormous amounts of patience inspires me, sometimes I really wish I could be a lot like you, say being more cautious while taking decisions or just being more sane. Here again, I wouldn’t want to think too much about it to the extent that I get totally confused.

Sometimes I think I must take a little from your dislikes to become a little better – like eat less chocolates, and try and say no once in a while.

I must thank you for bringing in a lot of positive and new influences in my life, for pushing me to the edge, making me explore a lot of things which  I would have not, like blogging for instance and a lot of other things which I perceived I’m averse  to. You’ve inculcated in me; the love for good food, of exploring different places, and for plain experimentation. 

 There have been so many instances where I look back and wonder what life would’ve been like without you around; but I’m plain happy that you’ve been around for so long, and that’s been a blessing in itself. I will be eternally grateful for accepting me for what I’m; the entire package without any changes whatsoever. Thank you for making me feel comfortable in my own skin, and making me believe that it’s ok to be a little weird at times.

So, Auntyji, here’s wishing you the Happiest Birthday ever!! May all your wonderful dreams come true.  Go ahead and chase that media dream of yours, and make us all proud.

God Bless You!

Love,
S

PS: I’ve thanked you a lot of times in this post, and I mean every word uttered. So I’d like to request you to bring out that tissue and wipe your eyes atleast for courtesy’s sake.
PS1: The day I have a baby, you will be the Godmother. Yeah, I mean it.
PS2: Woman, if you ever were a guy, I would’ve asked you out. Now thank heavens that both of us are sensible straight women.
PS3: its 12.15 and I must sleep.
:D

4 comments:

sowmya said...

thank you so much sadhu!!!!! truly senti kind but loved every bit of it... magar itni bhi mahaan nahi hoon mein. And it works both ways for it to last 11-12 years :)



PS: y the hell did u mention my age??!!

AM said...

Superb! Happy Birthday to the budday girl.

Ram said...

Nice one Sandhya..
But of everything you have mentioned, I am wondering about the exploring places...
Really? Are you exploring? Is it in your dreams or something?

Gayatri said...

This is so cute :) I loved it, i wish someone would wish me 'happy birthday' like this.