Monday, April 23, 2012

Turning 25


In close to four years of blogging; I’ve never really felt the need to blog about my Birthday. Until now, they were all relatively small numbers, there were other things to write about. But 25 is a big intimidating number. It means, I’ve been around Planet Earth for a Quarter Century now and officially enter the famous or rather infamous Quarter Life Crisis.

There is an overwhelming need to pen down my feelings on what it feels like to turn 25. A million questions loom ahead of me; I have to face them all, but there is no compelling need to accept them all in my folds. I have learnt to let go of a few and focus on what really matters to me.  25yrs is a quite a long time; in the course of this long arduous yet enriching journey – there have been moments which have taken my breath away, brought me back to earth with a thud, realize the value of relationships and people involved.

I’ve watched things go awry, over analysed incidents, wasted a lot of precious time on post mortems, wasted copious tears on people who hardly mattered and incidents that were beyond my control. All these left me sapped of happiness and contentment.  Alongside all this – I’ve spent time with people who mean the world to me, learnt life’s valuable lessons under their watchful eyes, succeeded in my attempts and watched them succeed too. I’ve learnt that happiness lies in making the best of what you have and the best lessons amongst all these have been – working on my strengths, diversifying my interests, and most importantly accepting me for what I am.

I was hoping a couple of my close friends would come up with something like 25-Awesome-Things-About-You sort of list. Since that hasn’t happened, I decided to take in a moment of perspective and thank the people who’ve left indelible marks in these 25 years.

To my teachers and professors from school and college, for loading my brains with knowledge unlimited and helping me grow as an individual. Thank you for being encouraging at all times and especially during PTA meetings, thank you for not letting my folks know how notorious and talkative I was.  Special thanks to Kumar Sir for being more than just a Professor, for being that Father figure and a very prominent guiding force. I will forever be indebted to you for adding that Sanity Filter into my head.

To Soms and Neesu for being besties for over 12yrs now! That’s an achievement ok? We’ve been partners in crime growning up, goofed up, stuck to each other after years of school, have had the best times. We also learnt to accept each other for what we are. I can’t thank you girls enough for all that you’ve been all along. You girls are truly God-Awesome and you know the rest of the story. Love you two to bits!

To Neelu for being an awesome Didi-Jaan, you’ve made me realize what it means to have an older sister, when my cousins were in faraway land. Special thanks for introducing me to Makeup, Amma thinks you are too innocent to have caused colossal damage on my makeup spending.

To AM for being my lost-Twin-Sister from Gujju Land. I still can’t believe we’ve never met each other and have still managed to stay in sync with each other’s sensibilities. Jai-ho to our sense of humor, grammar policing and telepathy! Oh btw, you are the best Grammar Police ever.

To Gitu for being what the SoMCA guys christened us – Soul mate! I must thank you for adding an extra character to my collage. We must stay in touch more often. You made SoMCA more livable and helped me bring forth my potential. Thanks a Bunch Woman!

To D for being the blood hound who can smell trouble and be the shrink whenever applicable. I admire your ability to call a spade a spade and it really helps because I know what you say is for my good.

To the bestest brother – Adi for just being there when it really matters, for being that pillar of strength and support when I should be the sensible one. I’m bloody proud of you for what you are. I get all emotional when you actually speak up for me. I still can’t believe you are all grown up now.

I wouldn’t be sitting here in the dead of the night penning this down without this Woman.
To Amma for being the best role model any girl can ask for. I will forever be in awe of how you’ve managed to garner love, respect and trust from people whom you’ve met in these years. You have brought us up with the best values and given us freedom to spread our wings. You’ve moulded me into what I am today. You’ve instilled confidence when I’ve been down in the dumps, brought me back to my senses when I strayed.  I really don’t know if I will ever be able to emulate you as a mother or a daughter in the years to come.  To me you are the epitome of Goodness.

To Appa for being that role model. You are one man whom I truly respect. Sometimes, I guess it's a little more fear than respect. I know I've fallen short of your expects many a times, but am thankful that you've taken it in your stride. I can only yearn to be the perfectionist you are.

To the Corporate World for turning the once uncomplicated, happy and cherubic soul into this insensitive woman with a good layer of thick epidermis. You have flawlessly executed the act of mercilessly slaughtering my confidence, puncturing my motivation and left me with no zest for living. Your exemplary behavior in terms of Public Display of Emotion where you wanted me strung and quartered for a second made me feel that the aforementioned woman should have aborted me instead.

But that was just for a second, I have realized how important it is to maintain dignity and composure at work.  All those people who grouped themselves together cemented my beliefs even more. I wholeheartedly thank you guys for clearing the cobwebs in my head.  Since then I’ve been absorbing every activity with a teaspoon of salt. 

You guys deserve the credit for helping me rebuild myself from those little shreds on the floor. I have learnt that there is no greater joy than recouping yourself to brace something a million times better. I will leave a blazing trail when the right time arrives.

To Shillu and Ramya for being the *first friends* I made in the hard-nosed corporate world! You girls are examples that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

To the Women who are no-more – Meenamma and Jaya Paati for being the best story tellers and nurturers.

Finally, to God, for bestowing me with so much goodness and happiness.  I totally understand that these trying moments in my life are to make me better and emerge stronger.

Peace Out 

8 comments:

Darshan said...

First of all, a very very happy birthday Sandhya !!

This has been one of your best posts till date and kudos on that.

Immensely pleased with your gratitude and I am as glad as ever to help you out in what ever capacity I can. If I ever make it as a real "shrink" I will owe my career to you for having been one of my first patients :P

But fun apart, you are a very nice person and I wish you stay the same forever cos that is what makes you unique.

This is a milestone; yes indeed. But does not signify what you have left behind, but also what is in store for you. So keep that in mind and put your foot forward.

Stealing a line from my friend, "may joy and happiness kiss your feet"

God bless !!

--darshan

AM said...

Rascalla me, I missed out on wishing you yesterday! Thank u sooooo much for the mention in your post! Love u n God bless u! :) :) :)

AM said...

Rascalla me, I missed out on wishing u yesterday! Thank u so much for the special mention in your post! Love u n God bless u! Keep writing!

Zee Bee said...

Yah,corporate world has a knack of beating and tiring out most of the good things in us....but it also gives us a taste of real world where we are alone without mom or dad.Don't let the corporate world get the best of you ..show them the finger when it starts to mess with your mind and emotions. It is not worth it !

Ram said...

India has been in the developing nation for long, soon it will transition itself into the under-developed nation. Just as it transitioned into developing nation from being the most developed nation for about 1750 years..

While talking about automobile pollution, let us not get into the creamy 20% of people who are using Rolls Royce and Mercedez. Let us talk about the people who own Maruti and Hyndai and those who zip past the street in 2 wheelers. Do you think you guys can make it without these vehicles? It will be a lot better if that is happens. But I dont think it will. I have for long been of that idea and managed these yaers without a vehicle, but who knows it might change sometime soon..

There are lot of things that need to be improved both from our side and from the government. It is truely a time for India to wake up..

Ram

kumar said...

True to type, I forget the birthday of people I love. In the quarter of a century you've adorned this world, Sandhya, you've hit many centuries - so congrats. And you'll simply go on to make more centuries, with the number of people around you who love you. I'll be there when you need me, until God gets other ideas.

kumar
(wish it was 23/4)

kumar said...

True to type, I forget the birthday of people I love. In the quarter of a century you've adorned this world, Sandhya, you've hit many centuries - so congrats. And you'll simply go on to make more centuries, with the number of people around you who love you. I'll be there when you need me, until God gets other ideas.

kumar
(wish it was 23/4)

mkris said...

Its lovely to read your post. Turning 25 sometime back gives I could relate to all your thank you and more... Do write more often :)