Sunday, December 30, 2012

Letter to an Unscrupulous Rat


Disclaimer: This post has been sitting pretty in my drafts since July, and every time I came close to publishing it, something stopped me. Firstly, I dint want this space of mine to turn into a complaint box, secondly, if I wrote crap about him, then it would make me no different from the unscrupulous rat he is. Thirdly, I'm in a very happy phase in my life right now, everything is perfect.  *touchwood, a million, gazillion times*

But as the year draws to an end, I wanted a closure. I wanted this post to be in the past and not spill into the new year thereby ruining my future. 

Post beings.

There is a reason why am writing to you. By the time to read this, I'd be out of the place I fondly call “inferno”.  At the outset, I must thank you for teaching me innumerable lessons about the corporate world and enlightening me on; how to play dirty politics. Thank you very much. Let me assure you right now, that this is not an act of cowardice; this is how I pay back. If I posted disparaging statuses about you on social media, then it would make me no different from the unscrupulous rat you are.

You know what? I’m rather surprised that people in this particular place have entrusted you with responsibility and that there’s so much riding on your back and they still believe that you are a leader. I’d rather not question how the system functions, because it really is none of my business.

Thanks to all this, you consider yourself Mr. Invincible right? I mean, nobody can raise a finger against you, but you on the other hand can go around pointing fingers at people, ruining their ratings, down playing their performance and making them look miserable and worthless in general! Wielding so much power to ruin another person’s life, mental peace and happiness should definitely be gratifying.

This is what pisses me the most. How can these people still believe in you! In my honest opinion, you are worth absolutely nothing.

Without wasting time, let me tell you a story about a certain guy, who was Mr. Invincible of a certain company. This guy was the unquestionable star performer, he’d swiftly moved up the ladder in no time. Truth to be told, he was one hell of a task master. His teammates hated him, but he was revered for being a subject matter expert. That made him invincible.

I’m sure you are wondering what this has to do with your star-studded professional life and being Mr. Invincible? Hold on.. We’re getting there.

A couple of months ago, a colleague and team-mate of his, had raised a harassment alarm against him. Her complaint being; he was treating her badly and did not respect her. So, mister, does that sound familiar? That organization, which hailed him until then, sprung into action and he was sacked. Yes, the biggies heard her part of the story, and they decided it was wise on their part to send him off.

Until that very moment, he was their star performer, and the people who ran that place did what most organizations would do; protect the interests of their employees.

In your case, three women had raised complaints against you, on grounds of being; ill-treated, put through mental agony, yelled at and not being given enough respect. You treated us like we were bonded to slavery. Not an ounce of respect. Nobody deserves to be treated like that.  Unfortunately, the wonderful place where you work, decided to take the employees in question to task.

I still haven’t figured out how it works, but like I mentioned, it really is none of my business. But a little part of me, really wished, they’d taken some severe against you as well. Because, you deserved worse than what we did. Somebody should have done something to bring you down from that pedestal you were sitting on, somebody should have had the bloody guts to knock off that invisible crown you wear like your birth right. Sadly, nobody did anything.

On a personal level, it did hurt to be on the receiving end of so much crap, when I deserved none of it. You must have had your jollies watching my confidence and performance go down the drain. In the process, you really did bring in some sense into my head; you made me realize that people can be bad and this bad. Kudos!

Don’t worry, I emerged stronger, next time anybody tries to play shit with me, I know how to deal with them. You’ve probably scored brownies for being a responsible senior person in the team, in reality, you aren’t even half as good as you imagine yourself to be.

Respect, is earned and not coerced. People should look up to you for the person you are and for the strength you offer. If you think, being successful is all about putting down people and playing downright cheap politics, then you are on the wrong track.

I wouldn't waste my time and energy hoping you’d rot in hell. Don’t worry, the world is small, karma is a bitch and what goes around will truly and certainly come around.




Amen!

PS: I don't really expect any of you to understand what's in this post. It was the worst phase of my life and am glad that it is in the past.


1 comment:

Priya R said...

Hey Girl firstly a very happy new year to you, 2ndly I know at times how one feels despite working hard n yet having bullies as seniors, quitting a job may b a solution for some but whats the use u'll have to confront a new bullie in someother office, am glad u stood up for what u felt is right,thse situations trouble those people most who r very straight forward, I've personally gone through it all n we get so worked-up n loose our sleep n peace while these bullies don't care...just one tip, rani laxmibai is there inside every women but also at times it is wise to follow chanakya, get to the top n rather than someone else get that Mr.Invincible off his throne do it urself, why if he can reach there being so bad why can't u reach there with ur good intentions, u have one life girl, chanalize ur anger n hurt n change things that u can, am glad u have a good life now n wish u always have a peaceful life ahead, best wishes n lotsa smiles ur way, do watch Chanakya if u can, gud luck!